Sunday, May 23, 2004

BH, English Teachers, and nastiness

Big Hominid rang some bells with his last post.

First of all, Dr. V in generall didn't piss ME off with his take on BH's humor. BH's humor is kind of out there, and for most people reading this, you know and love it. I suppose Dr. V pointed out there is a second class of people who read this blog for BH's philo/religions discussion. Fine. Get used to the nastiness. It's fun and liberating.

Take a random reader's review of BH's book taken from Amazon.com

This is arguably THE definitive work in the field of disgusting scatological humor. Nowhere else will the reader find the broad variety of takes on the field of poop and its impact on our lives, and the lives of those around us. If you laughed at Mr. Hanky, but wanted more, then this is the book for you. Strap yourself in, and prepare for a journey unlike any other. The author provides a unique perspective (usually from within the septic tank) that more adventurous readers may find refreshing. If your tastes run towards the "Family Circle" side of the spectrum, then you may want to think twice... or maybe not. Maybe this is exactly what you need to liberate your sense of humor.


The High brow and low brow is all part and pacel of the same package. If you have a problem with it, then it's YOUR problem, not BH's, and certainly not mine.

What got my goat was the boomercentric view of BH's humor. If it's bad, it must be because of Boomers and evaluated in terms of Boomers. Piss on Boomers. BH's humor has nothing to do with Boomers at all. Remember, this is the generation that gave us BOTh Bill Clinton And Dubya. Ooooh there's a wonderful track record. Piss on Boomers.

BH also touches on English teachers. BH and I were in mostly the same English classes throughout High School. BH remembers that Ms. Oxley used to laugh at his humor. The only thing I remember about Ms. Oxley is that most males were trashed in the grade book. I remember a string of B-'s, regardless of the quality I turned in. By the end of 10th grade, I'd whip something out in 5 minutes on my Atari PC at home, and turn it in, knowing I'd get a B-. Since a weeks worth of hard work would also result in a B-, what was the point. Most girls got A's in that class. Most of us with a Y Chromosome got B-'s or lower.

I also remember that BH served as a psuedo-TA in that class for whatever reason.

If memory serves, the individual who I think is Carpemundi here, as well as a third person and I, all tested out of the Vocab lessons, and were tested from the 11th grade book. Any English class where I am a track ahead of BH is screwed up royally. That, in and of itself, is argument enough against Ms. Oxley's quality as an educator.

I do remember a series of childish pranks in Ms. Oxley's class. Covering her chair with chalk, turning all the desks upside down, and having the entire class sit on the undersides of chairs, dangling books out of the window, writing nastiness on the chalkboards. Those are just the ones I was invovled in. A classmate named SAM, who was a close friend of Max Leader, BH, and myself used to help orchestrate pranks.

Ah, the good old days.

No comments: